Acuto’s Summer School
in partnership with
University of Rome 3 (Department of Philosophy)
“Pragmatism, Construction of knowledge and Education”,
CRIF (Research Center on Philosophical Investigation).
XX residential seminar in Philosophical Practice of Community
ACUTO, 19-27 JULY 2018
The seminar, recognized by Italian Minister of Education, offers 65 hours of training in two distinct areas:
1) Apprenticeship of basic skills to facilitate sessions of philosophical practice. It is geared toward teachers, educators, social operators. Participants will experience the construction and the development of a community of philosophical inquiry with adults, cultivate a philosophical style of thinking and communication by learning to recognize philosophical dimensions of experience and philosophical issues in texts (P4C curriculum) and other materials. Activities:
- Exploring the classic Philosophy for children curriculum;
- Participating in sessions of philosophical practice (participation, observation, facilitation supported by coaching);
- Sharing methodological reflections in and on practice;
- Approaching theoretical frameworks and intellectual tools.
2) Professional development. It is geared toward experienced facilitators and teacher educators in P4C. It provides philosophical, psychological, group dynamics and community building knowledges, expertise in maieutic relationship and philosophical dialogue. Topics and activities:
- Theory and practice of philosophical dialogue and inquiry;
- Community building;
- Pragmatics of communication;
- Orality and literacy in philosophy: the construction of philosophical stories;
- Educating for complex thinking (critical, creative and caring as transactive dimensions of thinking);
- Community of inquiry as paradigm of creative democracy;
- Philosophical practice of community and Pragmatism.
Director: Antonio Cosentino
Trainers, coaches, invited speakers (See the list). Special guest: Vicente Sanfélix Vidarte (University of Valencia).
Language: Italian with possibility of translation in English and Spanish.
Joint certificate of attendance will be released by Acuto’s School, University of Rome 3 and CRIF.
The seminar is held yearly (since 1999) at Studies Centre “La Panoramica” in Acuto (near Rome), an enchanting and welcoming hotel offering authentic hospitality accompanied by calm and relaxing atmosphere, in full board accommodation (both in double and in single rooms). Three meals a day are provided, with “zero kilometre” products and Italian cuisine. The “Panoramica” restaurant will accommodate any special dietary needs if alerted.
N.B. The “Panoramica” centre doesn’t allow alcoholic beverages.
5:00 pm Registration.
6:00 pm Welcome.
6:30 pm Keynote Speakers: A. Cosentino, R. Calcaterra, A. Volpone.
8:00 pm Dinner and free time.
From Friday 20th to Thursday 26th:
9:00 am-12:30pm Sessions of practice and reflections on practice, theoretical speeches.
1:00 pm: Lunch.
4:00 pm-7:30pm: sessions of practice and reflections on practice, theoretical speeches.
8:00 pm: Dinner and free time.
9:00 am-1:00 pm: Final activities, lunch and departures.
Accommodation at “Panoramica” Hotel
€ 50,00 per day in double room (Full board).
€ 65 per day in single room (Full board).
Applications must be sent using the on-line form available at the following web page: http://www.scuolacutop4c.it/acuto/acuto-2018/